Amazon Web Services, Inc.
1) Bearing in mind that you run and serve as an individual, rather than representing an organization, is there an organizational/employer affiliation you’d like to state for identification purposes?
Corporate Counsel (attorney) for Amazon Web Services, Inc.
2) Are you available to serve the entirety of a three-year term?
3) Describe any limitations on your ability to travel to attend ARIN and ICANN meetings in person or participate in scheduled teleconference calls.
4) The ASO AC holds monthly conference calls and participation is expected of all members. Would participation in these calls present any issue for you?
These calls would not present any issue for me
5) Why do you want to serve on the NRO NC, and what goals do you want to accomplish?
I want to serve on the NRO NC because of my interest in internet governance. I have both worked on internet governance matters as a practitioner and studied the subject as an academic matter. I am now ready to begin participating directly in governance. The NRO NC interests me more than any other committee because it not only provides the opportunity to aid in the important role the RIR system plays in the internet ecosystem, but it would also enable me to interface with ICANN and thereby advance ARIN’s interests within ICANN as well.
My primary goal as a member of the NRO NC would be to serve the ARIN community, for example by helping to ensure that ICANN’s activities affecting ARIN reflect the appropriate scope of the contractual relationship between the parties. But as a secondary matter, I would like to explore whether there are opportunities to formulate new global policies to harmonize differing RIR policies or that take into account recent or potentially emerging international developments, such as inconsistent state regulations or the growing prospect of internet fragmentation.
6) What, if any, conflicts of interest might arise for you as an NRO NC member? Specifically, do you serve in what could be perceived as any Internet governance roles, provide any services directly or indirectly to ARIN, or represent any significant interest from the community?
None of the situations presented in the Nomination and Appointment Conflict of Interest Requirements (https://www.arin.net/participate/oversight/elections/processes/conflicts/) apply to me. I also do not anticipate that any other conflicts of interest would arise by virtue of my serving on the NRO NC.
7) What is your record of serving the Internet community in the ARIN region?
I have attended multiple ARIN conferences and have been an ARIN Fellow. I have participated in the ARIN policymaking process and assisted with efforts to increase RPKI development, IPv6 adoption, and IPv4 availability for smaller organizations in the ARIN service region.
8) What participation do you have within ICANN, in the past and currently? Are you a member of any other ICANN AC or SO?
I have not participated in ICANN governance to date. But as mentioned above, one of the main reasons I desire to become a member of the NRO NC is the opportunity to serve as one of ARIN’s liaisons to ICANN, thus providing exposure to both numbering and naming.
I am not a member of any other ICANN AC or SO.
9) What differentiates you as a candidate, or makes you uniquely suited to serve on the NRO NC?
I believe three attributes make me uniquely suited to serve on the NRO NC.
First, my experience as a lawyer for two of the largest technology companies in the world brings a keen eye for policy details and issue-spotting that would help serve the NRO NC’s mission. The value of these skills is perhaps evidenced by the fact that no fewer than three lawyers currently serve on the ASO AC (one for each of APNIC, LACNIC, and AFRINIC). Moreover, if elected, I would be the first lawyer to serve on ARIN’s NRO NC in its 22-year history.
Second, I have a strong academic interest in internet governance more broadly. I am deeply familiar with the history of the internet and its current governance bodies and regularly read the latest scholarship on the subject.
Third, I am technical, having completed a B.S. in Computer Science and worked as a developer. I regularly engage with the technical aspects of networking services to advise engineers, and I continue to program in my spare time. I am therefore familiar not only with internet governance policy but also with modern network architecture and protocols.
10) Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the NRO NC, including names of organizations, positions held, specific duties, and dates of service.
Attorney, Microsoft Corporation, 2013 – 2016: primary legal support for five services within Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing product, including Operations, Compute, and Mobile.
Corporate Counsel, Amazon Web Services, 2019 – : primary legal support for AWS Edge Services, including IPv4 purchases and policymaking, DNS, Networking, CDN, and Cybersecurity.
11) (Optional) Provide one URL to a social media website of your choice, to foster dialogue with community members.
12) (Optional) Provide one URL to a web page with biographical information.